The capabilities of the merchant POS system play a pivotal role in the success of any payment innovation. Issuers can distribute EMV cards, but EMV’s fraud reduction benefits won’t be realized if merchants can’t accept the cards. With the near-term October 2012 incentive waiving PCI audit requirements for merchants who implement EMV-compliant terminals, planning an EMV migration strategy will be a top priority for all merchants.
The resources on this site provide a range of educational material – from EMV basics to detailed guidance on what merchants need to consider to develop the roadmap to accept EMV cards and devices.
- Contact Chip Card Online Authentication This animated presentation provides a clear description of how an EMV transaction is secured using “cryptograms.”
- Effective Communication Practices for U.S. Chip Migration Webinar This recorded webinar provides guidance to help industry stakeholders create sound communication strategies that will help the U.S. market understand and embrace chip payments and their many security benefits.
- EMV 101 Webinar This recorded webinar provides a primer on EMV chip payments. The webinar provides comprehensive overview of EMV chip payments, including the EMV transaction flow and options for card authentication, cardholder verification and transaction authorization.
- EMV Chip Cards: The Future of Payments This EMV Migration Forum infographic explains the must-know facts about U.S. EMV Migration.
- The EMV Ecosystem: An Interactive Experience for the Payments Community This interactive PowerPoint presentation provides an overview of the full EMV ecosystem, with participants who play roles in EMV issuance, acceptance and transaction processes.
- EMV for Merchants and Acquirers: U.S. Migration Considerations. This webinar provides a primer on EMV for U.S. merchants and acquirers.
- EMV Frequently Asked Questions This FAQ answers common questions about EMV.
- Glossary of Standardized Terminology The EMV Migration Forum developed a glossary that defines a set of standard terminology for common chip, EMV, and EMV migration terms for use in educational and marketing communications relating to the U.S. migration.
- Merchant Considerations for U.S. Chip Migration This webinar, held in partnership with the National Retail Federation, will provide guidance to educate merchants on the global use of chip cards, the status of the U.S. migration, considerations for making the decision to accept chip payments, and tools to begin project planning for chip card acceptance implementation.
- What Are Chip-Enabled EMV Payment Cards? This slideshow provides an overview of EMV and of the payment brands’ announcements for U.S. migration.
EMV White Papers
- Card-Not-Present Fraud: A Primer on Trends and Transaction Authentication Processes This white paper discusses the impact of and need to address card-not-present fraud in conjunction with migration to EMV in the U.S.
- Card Payments Roadmap in the U.S.: How Will EMV Impact the Future Payments Infrastructure? This white paper provides a primer on EMV and outlines actions that need to be taken to issue EMV cards and to accept and process EMV transactions.
- The Changing U.S. Payments Landscape: Impact on Payment Transactions at Physical Stores This white paper reviews new innovations in payment trends and devices, discusses the impact on EMV migration, and offers perspectives on how these trends are changing the way consumers pay and merchants accept card-present transactions.
- EMV and NFC: Complementary Technologies that Deliver Secure Payments and Value-Added Functionality This white paper describes how EMV and NFC complement each other and work together.
- EMV Testing and Certification White Paper: Current U.S. Payment Brand Requirements for the Acquiring Community The EMV Migration Forum Testing and Certification Working Committee developed this white paper to define the current processes required to test EMV chip transactions with MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover. The white paper is intended to provide a clear approach to acquirer host and EMV chip terminal testing and certification, and includes examples of common use cases.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM This EMV Migration Forum white paper provides an educational resource for stakeholders responsible for the implementation of EMV at the ATM in the U.S.
- Large Scale Payment Data Breaches Highlight Need for U.S. Card Issuers and Retailers to Move More Quickly to Smart Chip Payment Technology This brief discusses the security features of EMV chip payment technology and summarizes how these features strengthen the security of payment transactions.
- Technologies for Payment Fraud Prevention: EMV, Encryption and Tokenization This white paper describes the role of EMV, encryption and tokenization for securing the payments infrastructure and preventing payment fraud.
- S. Debit EMV Technical Proposal This EMV Migration Forum white paper defines recommendations for a debit technical framework for the U.S. payments industry.
- EMV Workshop for VARs, ISVs and ISOs. This recorded workshop provides a comprehensive review of chip technology and focused sessions on the development process and implementation best practices.
- How EMV Changes Payment Workshop. This video workshop provides an in-depth educational resource to assist issuers, acquirers/processors and merchants plan for EMV migration.
- Expert Video Series: EMV. Listen to interviews with industry experts as they discuss drivers for EMV and U.S. migration.
EMV Migration Status
- S. EMV Issuers. See who is issuing EMV payment cards in the U.S.
Payments Industry Resources on EMV
- ACT Canada
Other Payments Industry and Merchant Resources
- American Express
- Australian Payments Clearing Association fraud statistics
- Canadian Bankers Association, Credit Card Fraud and Interac Debit Card Fraud Statistics – Canadian Issued Cards
- European Central Bank, Second Report on Card Fraud
- Federal Reserve System, The 2013 Federal Reserve Payments Study
- National Association of Credit Unions
- Observatory for Payment Card Security (France), Annual Report of the Observatory for Payment Card Security
- Smart Card Alliance
- K. Cards Association
- K. Payments Administration
- PCI Security Standards Council